September 22 to December 15, 2021
We are thrilled to present another exciting season of accessible online arts adventures that include a variety of described performance videos (theatre, opera, dance), festival highlights, visual art tours, described film screenings and cultural tours that you can enjoy from the comfort of your own home, free of charge via the magic of Zoom. We’re also thrilled to present the full season of audio plays from our partners at the Arts Club Theatre.
EVENT SCHEDULE – Fall 2021 (subject to change)
- Sep 22: Digital Carnival Z, highlights from the annual festival of cutting-edge media arts from Cinevolution, with special guests.
- Sep 29: Mala is a one-woman show about family ties and the limits of love and an audio play from the Arts Club Theatre, with special guest, performer Carmen Aguirre.
- Oct 6: Someone Like You is a modern, comedic riff on Cyrano de Bergerac and a love letter to love itself, part of the Arts Club’s Listen to This audio play series, with special guest playwright Christine Quintana.
- Oct 13: All About Opera: La Bohème, the opera, meets RENT, the musical as Julia and Amy share their favourite moments and some fun facts about these popular works.
- Oct 20: K Body and Mind, an original sci-fi adventure starring VocalEye’s Donna Soares with audio description by Eileen Barrett in collaboration with A Wake of Vultures.
- Oct 27: Rocky Horror Highlights, a selection of cult favourite songs, toast throwing rituals, fishnet stockings and Time Warp dancing with special guest JJ Hunt.
- Nov 3: Done/Undone, a modern look at the relevance of Shakespeare from our partners at Bard on the Beach, with audio description by Eileen Barrett.
- Nov 10: OFF/NO PROGRAM
- Nov 17: Constructed Identities, a virtual art tour with artist Persimmon Blackbridge and Jenna Reid from Kickstart Disability Arts and Culture.
- Nov 24: Blind Spot, a documentary horseback riding adventure in the Andes mountains with special guests Ruth Bieber, Carly Grigg and Terry Kelly.
- Dec 1: Moonlodge follows the dreams and realities of Agnes, a young Indigenous woman, in this powerful and compelling audio drama from Soulpepper Theatre, with special guest, award-winning Cree-Saulteaux performing artist, Margo Kane.
- Dec 8: acts of faith, a stunning one-woman performance about the power of belief, the disillusionment of youth and the eternal struggle between good and evil from The Factory Theatre, with a descriptive introduction.
- Dec 15: Project Fire Flower, a virtual tour celebrating the pyrotechnic art of fireworks with special guests artists from the blind community, Collin van Uchelen and Carmen Papalia, plus Secret Santa draws and more holiday surprises!
Then we’re off for winter break and will return Wednesday, January 19, 2022.
Almost Live Zoom events are scheduled on Wednesday evenings at 6:30 pm Pacific Time and hosted by Amy Amantea. Events will be posted on this website as they are confirmed and will also be shared on the toll-free VocalEye Hotline 1-833-548-3393 (833-LIVE-EYE). You can also subscribe to our newsletter to receive the latest updates.
Almost Live Zoom events are designed to be accessible for audience members who are blind and partially sighted. Sighted supporters and guests with other disabilities are welcome to attend. We are unable to provide ASL interpretation or live captioning, but any recorded Almost Live events will be posted on the VocalEye YouTube channel with captions provided. Additional links to shared content can be found on our In Case You Missed It page.
Events are free but registration is required for new attendees. You can register for the full season or a single event. Zoom links are sent out on the day of the event to all registrants.
Register here or call 604-364-5949.
VocalEye broadcasts from the Pacific Time Zone (Vancouver). Guests from other time zones can use this handy Time Zone Converter
Typical Event Schedule – Pacific Time
- 6:30 pm – Virtual lobby opens for community updates and socializing with host Amy Amantea
- 6:45 pm – Official welcome and descriptive introduction with guest artist
- 7 pm – Feature presentation begins
- Followed by conversation and Q and A with guest artist and attendees
- Prize draw
- Community social
- Wrap time is usually around 9 or 9:30 pm PT